Alumni Association Distinguished Alumni Award Nomination
Each year, the University of Minnesota, Morris Alumni Association (UMMAA) recognizes alumni who have distinguished themselves in their personal or professional life. Nominations are accepted throughout the year and the recipients are determined by the UMMAA Board of Directors. The recipients of the award are honored during homecoming and receive a framed certificate or engraved plaque. Recipients are also invited to visit and speak to classes in the discipline of their major or related discipline, if appropriate. A record of recipients, including a photo of each, is kept in the Office of Alumni Relations. The following details the requirements and process for the Distinguished Alumni Award.
- Nominees must be alumni of the University of Minnesota, Morris.
- Nominees may be nominated by anyone (nominator does not have to be UMM alumni).
- Nominees may be individuals, or a group of Alumni who have collaboratively and individually met the distinguished alumni award criteria.
- All Nominees must satisfy each of the criteria for nomination (below).
- Nominees who are not selected for an award may be re-nominated in subsequent years by following the same process.
Criteria for Nomination
- How has the nominee demonstrated service to UMM? (i.e., financial support, engaging alumni, mentoring students, etc.)?
- How has the nominee distinguished himself/herself by making significant contributions to his/her profession over a period of time, thus reflecting favorably on UMM?
- How has the nominee distinguished himself/herself by making significant contributions to humanitarian efforts over a period of time; to their community; or to public service over a period of time thus reflecting favorably on UMM?
Application and Selection Process
- Nominators must submit the following to the Office of Alumni Relations:
- a nomination form
- the resume or curriculum vitae of the nominee
- one letter of support for each criteria set forth above
- no more than three letters of support for the nomination: each letter submitted must speak to one or more of the criteria set forth above and each of the criteria must be met before the nomination is considered complete
- Nominations are accepted anytime, but initial submission is encouraged by December 15.
- Deadline for submitting all information is February 15.
- Completed nomination packets are forwarded to the UMMAA Selection Committee by March 1.
- Recommendations of the Selection Committee are forwarded to the UMMAA Board of Directors before the April meeting.
- Letters to Honorees, Nominees and Nominators are sent on May 1.
- Distinguished Alumni Awards recipients are publicly announced prior to the Student Honors and Awards ceremony in May.
- Distinguished Alumni Award recipients are invited to receive their award in person at a reception and banquet honoring them during the fall Homecoming celebration.